|Here some examples of recent Technical Assistance projects. A full overview
can be downloaded here.
Tax Policy and Tax Administration
- Providing advice on the implementation of the EU Directives and other
amendments of the national tax system required for the accession to
the European Union in Estonia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Lithuania,
Latvia (all IMF) and Slovenia (EU).
- Providing advice on the simplification of the tax system, the
improvement of tax collection, and the tax assessment procedures in
Surinam (IADB-CIAT, recently by means of the IMF).
- Providing advice on the establishment of a training centre for the
Rumanian and Egyptian Tax and Customs Administration (Dutch
Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
- Providing advice on tax reforms (income tax, tax procedures, VAT and
investment regulations) in Eritrea, Tanzania, the East African
Community (regional cooperation between Kenya, Tanzania and
Uganda) and Rwanda (IMF).
- Providing advice on, and implementation of the 2005 income tax
reforms in Egypt (including the tax amnesty regulation).
- Providing advice to the Pakistani tax authority on international tax policy
issues (tax treaties and trade agreements).
- Execution of various legal drafting projects in taxation, for example
writing the new Slovenian corporation tax (EU-PHARE), the VAT in
Ethiopia (IMF), the general tax laws in Albania, Eritrea, and Syria (IMF),
as well as the income tax in Albania, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Mozambique,
Cambodia, Tanzania and Rwanda (IMF).
Education and Vocational Training
- Coordinator of several courses for the Albanian Ministry of Finance, for
example: introduction of the new income tax, tax audit and `train-the-
trainer course (World Bank). In combination with the projects
mentioned above, I have given several short introductions concerning
specific tax subjects (for example on the tax policy issues of the VAT
introduction in Ethiopia, and the administrative penalty system in